19th November 1915
MEETINGS MOVED TO THE NEW ROOM
The Chairman explained the calling of the meeting in the New Room instead of the Mission Room owing to the Mission Room now being unfit for use. On the motion of Mr. Mee seconded by Mr. Payling it was resolved to make use of the New Room for Council and Parish Meetings at a charge of two and sixpence (2/6) per meeting, for the current year.
19th June 1917
AN EARLY FORM OF ‘DIG FOR VICTORY?
The Chairman reported that the charge for the Seed Potatoes supplied through the County War Agricultural Committee was 15/6 per cwt and that he had paid the Secretary for the same and he (the Chairman) agreed collect the amounts from those who had bought the seed.
CONTROL OF VERMIN.
It was decided on the motion of Mr. Sharp seconded by Mr. Baker that the Council buy rats tails at one halfpenny (1/2d) each, sparrows at one halfpenny (1/2d) each, and sparrow eggs at 2d per dozen. The money for this purpose to be provided out of the General Fund of the Council Treasurer.
It is understood that vermin and birds taken in Aslockton Parish only to be bought.
28th March 1918
CONTROL OF VERMIN – THE COST!
The Chairman reported that he had expended the sum of twelve shillings and five pence (12/5) in the purchase of Rats, Sparrows and eggs during the current year.
It doesn’t appear that the end of the Great War was mentioned at the Parish Council meeting as no mention of it was made in the Minutes.
22nd March 1921
PROBLEM WITH FOOTPATH
It appears that rights of way were also a problem in the past.
A resolution was passed on the motion of Mr. Bates seconded by Mr. Mee, instructing the Clerk to write to the Bingham RD Council calling their attention to the dangerous condition of the Smites bridges on the footway between Aslockton and Whatton. He suggests that the matter requires immediate attention.
9th May 1921
COUNCIL HOUSES FOR ASLOCKTON!
A letter was read from Bingham RD Housing Committee asking that the Chairman should attend a meeting of the housing committee at Bingham and also requesting the opinion of the Parish Council as to the number of houses required in Aslockton, to be erected by the RD housing committee. Mr. Sharp who is a member of the housing committee explained various details of the housing scheme and after a lengthy discussion, it was unanimously resolved on the motion of Mr. Mee seconded by Mr. Porter that in the opinion of the Parish Council the present needs of Aslockton will be met by the erection of four houses by the housing committee.
11th January 1928
PROBLEM WITH FLOODS AND STATE OF THE ROADS.
Nothing much changes in 1928 the Parish Council were concerned with the effects of flooding and the state of the roads.
A resolution was passed on the motion of the Chairman seconded by Mr. Bates instructing the Clerk to write to Bingham RDC calling attention to the fact that the Village had been recently flooded and the water remained in the street for several days after the Smite had fallen owing to the sewers being inadequate to deal with the surplus water, the RDC to be asked to have an early inspection made with a view to rendering the drains more efficient. Further the attention of the RDC be called to the state of the road at the Smite ford between Aslockton and Whatton and to the very dangerous corner at the junction of Abbey Lane with the main street near the railway station.
17th May 1928
A SCHOOL FOR ASLOCKTON?
The question of providing a Public Elementary School for Aslockton was discussed at length and a proposition drawn up by Mr. Fox was seconded by Mr. Moody, supported by the Chairman and Messrs. Fryer and Briggs. Messrs Payling and Sharp did not vote.
16th October 1928
STILL WAITING FOR A SCHOOL IN ASLOCKTON
A letter from the Notts Education Committee was read in reply to the Councils application for better school facilities for Aslockton saying that the question was still in abeyance as the Education Committee cannot consider Aslockton by itself. The question of School accommodation in several adjacent has to be taken into account along with Aslockton. The matter will however no be overlooked.
TELEPHONE BOX FOR ASLOCKTON
At the same meeting the Council discussed the provision of a Telephone Box.
In reply to the Councils inquiry re a Public Telephone in Aslockton, a letter from the District Manager of PO Telephones was read setting out the Conditions and Charges.
As the District Managers draft scheme made provision only for a twelve hour daily service the Council considered the terms unsatisfactory and the Clerk on the motion of Mr. Briggs seconded by Mr. Moody was instructed to write asking for terms for a day and night and Sunday services.
6th November 1928
TERMS FOR A TELEPHONE BOX AGREED
Following discussions with Post Office Telephones the terms for providing a public telephone is Aslockton was agreed.
A letter from the District Manager of PO Telephones was read setting out the terms and conditions for a Public Telephone Kiosk for continuous service.
The amount of the Councils liability by way of a guarantee being £8-0-0 per annum as against £6-10-0 for the twelve hour service at the Post Office. After discussing the proposal it was resolved on the motions of Mr. Fox seconded by Mr. Moody to accept the terms for the continuous service.
7th June 1929
ELECTRICITY FOR ASLOCKTON?
We take electricity for granted now, but seemingly not so in 1929.
A letter was received from the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Power and Light Company stating that they proposed to lay a cable to Aslockton provide sufficient interest was forthcoming to warrant the outlay.
With a view to ascertaining the probable number of customers it was resolved on the motion of Mr. Fox and seconded by Mr. Moody to post notices in the Village inviting intending consumers to make written application to the Council Clerk within fourteen days of the Notice.
MORE ON THE SCHOOL
The debate on a School for Aslockton continued at this meeting.
A letter from the Notts Education Committee was read with reference to a School in Aslockton, this was ordered to lay on the table until the next meeting of the Council.
24th June 1929.
A BIT MORE ON THE SCHOOL
Not much further forward on this subject.
Arising out of the previous minutes the Education Committees reply was discussed re. School in Village. A resolution was passed on the motion of Mr. Fox seconded by Mr. Briggs that a small committee be formed to go into the matter of the School for Aslockton. Viz to get a petition signed by parents asking the Board of Education to fund a Council School for the village. To forward the correspondence with the LEA to London.
1st November 1929
THE SCHOOL STORY CONTINUED.
It is clear that the Parish Council is losing its’ patience with the Nottinghamshire Education Committee.
The question of a Council School for Aslockton was again discussed.
A petition signed by 39 parents of children of elementary school age was laid before the meeting.
On a motion of Mr. Fox seconded by Mr. Moody it was unanimously resolved that:
In view of the attitude taken up by Notts Education Committee in the matter as will be elicited from the correspondence inclosed, this Council should make a direct appeal to the Board of Education for a review of the situation. This Council puts there is a legitimate demand for a Public Elementary School in this village and in support thereof enclose a petition ? for the erection of a school.
The Chairman kindly undertook to have the correspondence typewritten for transmission to the Board of Education.
19th February 1930
THE SCHOOL STORY ENDS!
Despite the Parish Councils’ efforts the School story was never going to end well.
Arising out of the minutes of the last meeting, a letter from the Board of Education was read, acknowledging the receipt of the signed Petition asking for a PE School in Aslockton. The Board however after consultation with the Local Education Authorities declined to interfere in the decision come to by the Nottinghamshire Education Committee.
A resolution moved by the Chairman and seconded by Mr. Fox was passed instructing the Clerk to wirtie to Notts Education Committee to provide means of transport for the children attending school at Scarrington and Whatton in view of the danger attending them, more especially respecting the recent drowning fatality in the River Smite.
19th April 1934
PLAYGROUND FOR ASLOCKTON
The provision of a Children’s Playground in Aslockton had been discussed at previous meetings. The area decided upon appears to be the piece of land on the junction of Abbey Lane and Main Street.
Mr. Henson reported having interview Mr. TG Sharp with reference to the field for a Children’s Playground.
Mr. Sharp intimated that he would let the field to the Council for £5-0-0 per annum subject to the field being reserved to him for 14 days during the Village Feast when it would be occupied by the Roundabout proprietors the Council and Mr. Sharp to share fifty-fifty in the matter of fencing.
On the motion of Mr. Baker seconded by Mr. Bissell it was resolved that Mr. Henson should see Mr. Sharp and offer to take on the field for one year as an experiment with a view to a tenancy if the field should be suitable for a playground.
23rd July 1935
NO STREET LIGHTING FOR ASLOCKTON!
A letter from the local Electricity Company was read asking if any further steps were contemplated with regard to Street Lighting, the Company offering to install a couple of demonstration lamps if desired.
In view of the attitude taken at the Parish Meeting held to discuss the matter on 3rd October 1932 it was resolved on the motion of Mr. Neal seconded by Mr. Henson that a reply be sent saying no further steps would be taken by the Council at the moment.
4th September 1936
PROBLEMS FOR THE PLAYGROUND
The Clerk undertook to interview Mrs. Plumket re the Playing Field, as it is now owned by the Home Brewery Company and let to their tenant, Mrs Plumket on a quarterly basis.
8th March 1937
END OF THE PLAYGROUND
The question of the Playing Field was discussed. In the Councils opinion so little use had been made of it during the year, it was not thought worth the expense of making any further use of it.
On the motion of Mr. Neal seconded by Mr. Henson it was unanimously resolved that no further offer be made to rent the field on the expiry of the Councils tenancy on April 6th 1937.
31st March 1939
STREET LIGHTS AT LAST
A letter from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Electric Power and Lighting Co was read asking of the Council were taking further steps in the matter and also offering to install a temporary demonstration lamp in the village.
It was resolved on the motion of Mr. Baxter seconded by Mr. G Baker to ask the Company to install a lamp for demonstration purposes next autumn.